As a public authority, the General Registry is committed to openness, transparency and serving the public interest in compliance with the Freedom of Information Law, 2007.
The Freedom of Information Law was first passed on 19th October 2007 and came into effect in January 2009. It gives the public a right of access to all types of records held by public authorities but also sets out some exemptions from that right.
Please refer to Freedom of Information Law (2018 Revision) for more information. This revision replaces the 2015 Revision which should now be discarded.
Each public authority covered by the Freedom of Information Law has a legal duty to adopt and maintain a publication scheme in accordance with s. 5 of the FOI Law.
The purpose of a publication scheme is to make information readily available to the public without the need for specific written requests. Schemes are intended to encourage authorities to proactively publish information, to develop a culture of openness and participation.
The publication scheme lists the information which is readily available to the public. The list is divided into seven (7) different categories of information, to help you find the documents you are looking for.
This publication scheme commits the General Registry to making information available to the public as part of its normal business activities.
The General Registry will:
- specify the information held by the authority, which falls within the seven (7) categories ;
- proactively publish or otherwise make routinely available, information which is held by the authority and falls within the categories below;
- describe the methods by which specific information is made available, so that it can be easily identified and accessed by members of the public;
- list any fees charged for access to information described in this scheme;
- publish or otherwise make information available, in accordance with the methods and fees stated in this scheme;
- make this publication scheme available to the public;
- regularly review and update the information made available under this scheme.