What is required to register a live birth?

To register a live birth the following are required:

  • Valid passport of both parents
  • Live birth notification from the hospital
  • Marriage certificate, if parents are married
2023-03-31T12:20:39-05:00March 31st, 2023|

Who can register a child?

If the parents are unmarried both are required to attend the Registry together to effect the registration.

If the parents are married either parent may attend the Registry to effect the registration.

Social Services Department may also register the birth.

If the mother is underage (younger than 16 years old), her parents, guardian or representative from Social Services Department is required to attend the Registry with her for the registration.

2023-03-31T12:19:41-05:00March 31st, 2023|

If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth and the parents subsequently married – can the child be re-registered as if they were married at the time of birth?

Yes, If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth but they could have been (no legal impediment – married to another or underage) and they subsequently got married then they may do a re-registration.  The registration would now appear that they were married at the time of the child’s birth.  The original registration is marked “re-registered” and is not accessible except by Court Order.

2023-03-31T12:18:38-05:00March 31st, 2023|

If the father named on the original certificate was not the correct father how can this be corrected?

Removal of the Assumed Father:

The assumed father or the mother may file the original DNA report and request the removal of the assumed father’s name. This must be in writing. A valid government-issued photo ID is required.

Adding the Biological Father:

Once the assumed father is removed, the biological father’s name may be added with the mother’s consent. The request must be in writing (forms available). Both parties must be present and the form must be completed in the presence of the Registrar of Births.

If the child is an adult, the child must also consent in writing to the change of father on the certificate.

A valid government issued photo ID is required for all parties.

2023-03-31T12:16:01-05:00March 31st, 2023|